What's going on

Ugh, the guilt of a neglected blog.

I’m in another one of those phases where I’ve got a handful of half-finished posts sitting in draft, and can’t work up the nerve to attack those pesky, unworkable words and fashion them into fully-grown expressions. Also, 25 in 12 has hit a snag because of a book that I flat-out hate, but am determined to finish.

So, as usual, when all else fails, I talk about work.

TOC is running a month-long feature called Date Our Friends. It’s easily our most ambitious online project ever, and is my brainchild so I’m hoping it comes off. Two weeks ago, we asked readers to write in if they wanted to date one of our four friends. This week, we reveal who the daters will be, one each day. Next week, we’ll be posting video excerpts from their dates, and asking readers to vote on whether they think they’ll make it to a second.

The funny thing about all this is that yours truly will be accompanying these folks on their dates (dates don’t videotape themselves, you know!), which I am sure won’t be awkward at all. Ahem. This whole project is either going to be a smashing success or massive disaster. Either way, it ought to be fun to watch. So check out the feature each day at timeoutchicago.com/dateourfriends for the next couple weeks to see our updates.

Also, TOC now has a Twitter stream. It’s still in a soft launch right now, but feel free to follow us as we post updates on interesting articles, as well as goings-on within the TOC offices. We’ll be giving it a big push just prior to SXSW, as I’ll be posting daily updates to the TOCblog, and tweets to the Twitter stream.

9 comments for “What's going on

1. kerry
    February 20, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I’ll keep an eye on youtube for hilarious date video outtakes.

2. February 20, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Now had I known you’d be coming along I would have applied for a date, since you always make me look good!(um, that’s a reference to Scott’s ability as an excellent social sounding board, I don’t mean it to sound like he’s so repulsive that it make me look more physically attractive. Just want to get that straight.)

3. February 21, 2008 at 1:54 am

Well, considering the traditional blog fuel is either angst or conspiracy theory, then I’d say your posting problem is a sign of good mental health.To fewer posts and an happier Scott! (But less entertainment for me)

4. February 21, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Please oh please tell me what the hated book is.

5. February 21, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Oh don’t worry: I plan on reviewing it at some point.

6. February 21, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Will you be adding pop-up commentary to these videos? That I’d like to see.

7. February 21, 2008 at 9:01 pm

oh, i’m sorry i’m doing this here, cause i was too lazy to write in to your mag. but i was bummed that there was (if i can remember) a straight lady, a gay guy and … two straight guys? but no gay woman.boo.

8. February 21, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Justin> I am going to resist the urge. Getting people to agree to let us videotape was hard enough.Smussy> We tried, trust me. But in the end if none of our lesbian friends want to be hooked up (U-Haul’ed?) then we can’t exactly force ’em.

9. February 21, 2008 at 10:23 pm

damn. i wish i would have known. i would have participated as a bi woman.